The other day Jackie and I were wrapping up a podcast and he mentioned something about using “stream” instead of a file. I mentioned that I’d adapted my OCR script to use the built-in Windows 10 OCR (instead of relying on Tesseract) but I was unable to change my script to use a variable instead of requiring a saved file. Thankfully Jackie had actually played with this so we started to update my script. About 30 seconds in, I suggested we record the session and I’m glad I did as there was some advanced stuff we covered! We ended up turning it into our 55th Podcast.
Here’s an updated to my screen clipping tool which now leverages built-in OCR on Windows 10.
Screen clipping tool with Built-in OCR
AutoHotkey Webinar 08/2018 Hour 1
Coronavirus: End of the world as we know it? Quite possibly, yes.
- Which businesses will survive & which will fail?
- Specific Industries will be harder-hit
- Cruise ships, Airlines, Party/event locations, retreat, Concert halls
- What happens when you discover a CV problem while traveling overseas? Etc.
- Companies enabling working remotely, cleanliness, etc. will see huge growth
- Spur innovation
- Material science (less likely to hold the germs)
- Gloves at grocery stores?
- Cleaning grocery packages before bringing out to vehicles?
- Tylenol reaction back in 80’s J&J could have lost it all but turned it into a “win”
- Small businesses are less-likely to have resources survive lost revenue for the next 6 months
- 1,000,000 jobs lost and “Nobody” is hiring
- Short term vs. Long term
- 75% of restaurants may never re-open
- New jobs that used to be overseas may be brought home to the states (Pharma, medical supplies, etc.)
Robotics Process Automation (RPA) / Desktop Automation & the New Economy
- How will this affect the demand for Robotics Process Automation / Desktop Automation?
- Bots won’t get the Coronavirus
- Bots won’t spread Coronavirus
- Bots are easier to scale
- Bots help multiple the effectiveness of employees (and completely replace some)
- Large businesses are more likely to survive. They are the ones that can afford RPA
- While “nobody” is hiring, people working in RPA might see an increase in demand
In this webinar on getting text from programs Jackie Sztuk demonstrated his adaptation of Tesseract. I realized this would be a cool addition to my screen-clipping tool so I’ve incorporated! Check out the below video and you can download all the files for screen clipping with OCR here (This requires several executables so I’ve put it all in this zip file) BTW on 9/21/19 I updated the Tesseract.ahk file to wait for the image to be present. This should reduce the issue of the script complaining about the image not being found.
Screen clipping with OCR demo video